Friday, December 2, 2016

Two Mindsets ...Two Way of Thinking

We were created with two mindsets. Which one dominates you?
A Devotional Study on Romans 8:1-8

All of us were born with two kinds of mindset, both operates simultaneously, but only one dominates, the other one in passivity. Whichever dominates, or whichever is passive is the common concern to all of us, because it certainly has some effects to our lifestyle.
Let us read in the passage below ( clik the link).



the family apostol vacation in Boracay, Philippines



The passage recognized that we humans were created with two kinds of mind sets, and the Bible devoted chapters in its three books, the books of Romans, Colossians and 2 Corinthians to discuss about the importance of having the right mind set to dominate our thinking. This right mindset not only pleases God, but also is beneficial to our existence. The right mindset influences our victories and downfall.


The first mindset is what the passage refers to, the carnal mind. The carnal or the " fleshly mind" or in short, the self mindset. It is the mindset that so directed to personal and material gain, achievement, performances, etc. In it are our choices and decisions without considering their spiritual implications upon us. The carnal mind is not only preoccupied with the self's  intentions and motives, it is also hunted upon by  negative thoughts and feelings specially the untrained mind. The carnal mind is susceptible to feelings of rejection, failures, self glory, pride, lust ( in any form), superiority as well as inferiority, any feelings that is not originally designed for us to feel. " Not originally designed for us to feel" connotes that we humans were created with all positive attributes. It is the inherent sin of our ancestors, Adam and Eve, that stained the DNA of the generations that followed them. 

Another thing to note in the passage is that, the carnal mind does not please God, nor it will ever please Him. Why? It is this kind of mind that thinks and act against His will . It even devised wickedness to usurp, blaspheme, contradict, and defy His lordship and commandments. This carnal mind in operation hinders us to see the very purpose of God for our lives. God in His lovingkindness wants to be in harmony with us, and to show us His wonderful plan and blessings. 

In contrast is the 2nd kind of mindset, the spiritual mindset, the mindset that seeks things that are heavenly. It thinks and operates according to God's will. It thinks things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely...

Read: Philippians 4:8


This mindset can easily discern the will of God because of its focus. 
Let us not forget that the world that we live is has two overlapping dimensions operating simulteneously: the physical and the spiritual. Man is a spiritual being. That explains his hunger to seek religion, to seek about a god, to seek about spiritual matters. This objective if not guided will fall in the knowledge of evil, rather than godly.  

Will the One who created us seeks that which is evil for his creation? Absolutely No! It is His desire for us to His creation, to know His heart and mind for our good and excellent living. That's why, the Bible, His word, explicitly is telling us to develop in our brain the spiritual mindset. To harness and transform our carnal mind into a spiritual mind, and let it dominates our thinking style. It is this kind of thinking that brings peace and joy to our being, which is not influenced by emotions and material things but of the truth.The truth that sets us free. 

Developing a spiritual mindset is quite difficult specially if we have become used to our own way of thinking, but attainable. God won't instruct us to do something which is impossible for us to do. He knows our limitations. The carnal mind sets the limitations in our being. And God wants us to be free even in our thinking because He created our minds with limitless possibilities. And He knows that to set our minds free from the clutter of the carnal mindset will mean harmony, peace, joy and love for our being.

The first step is to truly seek God and establish a relationship with Him through Jesus Christ who is the way to God our Father in heaven. In this I can guide you by praying with me.

" Almighty God in heaven, I come to You, seeking You with all my heart .
  I recognize that I need You to fix my life. 
  I recognize the sin in me, and I repent from all of those sins that I've done.
  I won't do them anymore. I wanted a new and changed life and thinking.
  God forgive me. 
  I recognize that I cannot go to You by my own .
  I put my trust in You, Jesus to be my Lord and Savior.
  I ask You Jesus, to come to my life, to my heart, and save me.
  Heal my mind. Heal my spirit. bring me back to life.
  And help me to live for You. help me to know Your will and plan for me."
  Thank you Lord. 
  In Jesus name....my Lord and Savior, amen.


If you already have a relationship with God: enter into the next step:  nourish that relationship always, saturate your mind with His word. ... ask God's help to subdue your carnal mindset but you also need to take action. This initial action is the discipline of your emotions and reactions. 



We will deal with the discipline of emotions and reactions in the next blog posts.




" He that ruleth his spirit is better than he who taketh a city."-proverbs 16:32





No comments: