Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cassava anyone?

Sitting by the charcoal stove of a tribe woman while she's cooking some food, one idle, starry night, other tribe's women came along and talked almost endlessly about the many recipes one can make out of cassava, their "basic food".

They said, it's better grated and the juice squeezed out to prevent poisoning, then add the spices you want. I've tasted their food and it's good. You can cook it like a hotcake, minus the egg, and taste like an ordinary hotcake. They call it apam. Make it bigger, they use it as wedding cakes, mixed with oil and sugar, and decorated with little flags. They call it panyam. The tastiest is daral, cooked as thin as the lumpia wrapper, with grated fresh coconut and sugar as fillings, wrapped like the ordinary lumpia. The sindol is cooked like a stew, mixed with brown mongo seeds- the best in zamboanga! they said. My mother mixes grated kinchay, ginisa mix, onion and pepper dash with it, form it into balls and deep fry them. My collegues even cook these balls ala mechado or menudo. They're great! Heavy to the stomach!

Maybe this food makes these people stronger than us. They're carbo-loaded!


It's my habit to watch the late program of 700 club in channel 11 every night of my stay in my house. That was a week ago. Coming from my work from the tribe, one of my eye twitched. Maybe a reaction to the extreme heat or maybe my moisturizer. It was disturbing!

That night in that program, Ms. Coney got a word of knowledge while praying, about someone who is watching with a twitching eye which God was healing. I was amazed and immediately thank God for the healing. The next morning, I found out that my eye was healed! Oh great! I can't believe that I will recieve such an attention from the Lord and I am so happy!

No comments: