Friday, September 26, 2008

The Lord Counts Our Hair

I was searching the net for the Pagasa website because I want to tract down typhoon Ofel's movement.. Eicher's in Tuegegarao City for a job call and will go down to Baguio City all that this weekend. Ofel's heading northwest of the country and I need to inform Eicher about it so he could timed his job and hurried back home to Manila, avoiding the storm. Then, I remembered to open my e-mail, a newsletter from the 700Club Asia came and I read this article-devotion about our hair. I was touched by the story and the verse there seemed to talk to me, "God counts the number of our hair so you don't need to be afraid." I looked at the reference in the Bible indicated there and I found it. It says:

" Are not five sparrows sold for two farthlings, and not one of them was forgotten by God. But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: you are of more value than many sparrows." Luke 12:6-7

I am sporting a very short hair for 12 years now. When I get here in the tribe, my short hair became offensive, all females should have long hair here. So there are times back then that I needed to wear a veil when teaching the people. Only after I explained why I sport a short hair, did they understood. Now I could go around without a veil.

I did this sporting on purpose. It is both a mourning and a prayer. I told myself that I will make it grow again when God answers my prayer. It's like a fast. In the Old Testament (Bible), a woman who lost her husband cuts her hair short and grew her fingernails long as a sign of mourning. When her mourning is over, she will grow her hair again and cut short her fingernails.

In our time, we grow or cut our hair and fingernails for fashion.

God counts my hair, I wonder when will it be that when God counts my hair again, He'll find it long and many? I am waiting in great expectation and excited about it.

I hope the typhoon Ofel will not take a landfall. My countrymen have enough destruction already, brought by the previous typhoons. Sometimes, too much unbearable calamities make the hearts
faint.

May God stop the birth of typhoons this October to December, a rain to cool the heating earth is enough.

No comments: